This one-year, full-time Veterinarian Internship will work in our Cattery/Kennel at our Saint Joseph, Missouri Product Technology Center and provide veterinary care for a strictly canine and feline population.
1. Assist with necessary veterinary procedures to insure the health and well being of the cats and dogs
2. Knowledge of and compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and all procedures and protocols in the Nest R&D PetCare Manual
3. Responsible for maintenance of all health records as required by the record retention policy and the Animal Welfare Act
4. Responsible for emergency situations (20%), including an occasional night shift (during whelping)
5. Ensure Compliance with Company policies and procedures by group members
6. The intern will complete employee orientation (overview of corporate policies, facility and department responsibilities, safety procedures, standard operating procedures [SOP], drug log maintenance, harassment training, and an on-line nutrition overview) and will assume primary responsibility for cases within the first two weeks.
7. Primary mentoring will be provided by two staff veterinarians; however, the intern will have opportunities to interact with Nestle Purina nutrition scientists, collaborative researchers, behavior scientists, and, if appropriate, engineers.
8. The intern will perform physical examinations, request and perform diagnostic tests, determine diagnosis, prescribe treatment, and perform procedures. Procedures performed by the intern may include IV catheter placement, passing stomach tubes to decompress bloated dogs, ultrasound confirmation of pregnancy, obtaining biopsies using endoscopic equipment, and placement of feeding tubes.
9. The intern will perform elective soft tissue surgery such as ovariohysterectomies, orchiectomies, mass removals, and cystotomies; assist/perform emergency surgeries such as caesarian sections, exploratory surgeries for foreign body ingestion, and GDV; and may have opportunities to perform orthopedic surgery during the 12 month period.
10. Conduct all activity in compliance with generally accepted veterinary practice, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and all required Company policies and procedures
11. Maintain a safe, clean and sanitary work environment
12. Provide clinical diagnostics and treatment regimes for sick animals
13. Travel as necessary
• The intern will develop a minimum of one, 45-60 minute, seminar on a topic or case study for presentation to the employees of the PetCare facility. The intern is strongly encouraged to submit one first author publication to a peer-reviewed journal. Up to two submission fees will be paid for by Nestle Purina.
• The intern will pursue state licensure in Missouri. Nestle Purina will provide financial assistance for licensure fees. The intern will identify and complete a project while working at the St. Joseph facility. Possible projects may include: develop rehabilitation protocols for pets recovering from orthopedic surgery and/or geriatric dogs; involvement with a nutrition trial; participation in behavioral research; or development of an SOP for a veterinary clinical procedure. The completed project will be used within the PetCare facility to enhance the well-being of our pets.
• The intern will complete 5-10 continuing education credits by attending local VMA meetings, through online CE through DVM 360/VIN, etc., and/or by attending a portion of the Central Veterinary Conference in Kansas City, MO. Nestle Purina will pay for up to 2 (two) days of the Kansas City Central Veterinary Conference registration fee.
• Additional duties as assigned.